The cover for Cassandra Clare’s upcoming book Chain of Gold has been revealed and we still can’t get over how stunning it is! We’re so excited and have so many questions already – and we’re positive you do, too! So we put on our sleuthing caps and hunted down all the information we could find.We will keep this post updated as more updates are released, so check back to make sure you’ve got the most up-to-date scoop on what there is to know about Chain of Gold.
Everything We Know About Chain Of Gold So Far
1. Chain of Gold will be available March 3rd, 2020.
— Riveted by Simon Teen (@simonteen) April 19, 2019
2. We know what the cover looks like, and it has taken our breath away!!
3. The woman on the cover is Cordelia Carstairs and she’s holding Cortana, her family’s sword.
We’re intrigued, we’re excited, Cassandra Clare, please tell us MORE!
4. The Last Hours Series is a sequel to the Infernal Devices Series *screams internally*
The Last Hours is a new Shadowhunters series set in 1903. It deals with the next generation after Will, Tessa and Jem as well as Charlotte and Henry’s children, Tatiana Blackthorn’s children, the Lightwood kids and many more. 1903 is right around the time the Victorian era tips over into the Edwardian era – beautiful clothes, fabulous history and so much more that I’m excited to write about! (I’ve even been keeping a crazy Pinterest board for inspiration.)
5. The title comes from Charles Dicken’s Great Expectations and the series is a retelling.
You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came here, the rough common boy whose poor heart you wounded even then. You have been in every prospect I have ever seen since — on the river, on the sails of the ships, on the marshes, in the clouds, in the light, in the darkness, in the wind, in the woods, in the sea, in the streets. You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my mind has ever become acquainted with. The stones of which the strongest London buildings are made, are not more read, or more impossible to be displaced by your hands, than you presence and influence have been to me, there and everywhere, and will be. Estella, to the last hours of my life, you cannot choose but remain part of my character, part of the little good in me, part of the evil. – Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
6. There will be three books in the series: Chain of Gold, Chain of Thorns, and Chain of Iron.
There will be three books: Chain of Thorns, Chain of Gold, and Chain of Iron – also a reference to Great Expectations.
(“Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.” – Great Expectations)
7. There will be some familiar characters that show up throughout the book *Did we just hear someone just say Will Herondale?!?*
We love that Cassandra Clare has been answering all our questions. 🙂
8. And you can be sure to look forward to learning about new characters too!
9. Cassandra Clare will be releasing 10 short stories revolving around The Last Hours characters once a month, leading up to the publication of Chain of Gold!
Check out the flash fiction from May, June, July and August for more insight into the characters and world!
10. Charlie Bowater created some beautiful character art of Cordelia Carstairs, James Herondale, and Matthew Fairchild. Have a look!
View this post on Instagram
You all are excellent guessers! The detail I posted earlier was of Matthew Fairchild in The Last Hours (if you want to know more about Matthew before Chain of Gold comes out, the story Cast Long Shadows in Ghosts of The Shadow Market is about him.) Here is the full Matthew portrait by Charlie Bowater. She’ll also be doing the other TLH characters so keep an eye out for more of her great art! 👁
View this post on Instagram
Woo! Charlie Bowater’s full portrait of James Herondale from The Last Hours. You’ll be seeing him and Cordelia at BookCon and I’ll be rolling out more gorgeous art as we approach the release of Chain of Gold in March!(If you look closely you can see the etchings on James’ pistol — runes and the words “Luke 12:49.” (“I have come to ignite a fire on the earth – and how I wish it were already kindled.”) And what’s that shadow being cast against the wall, hmmm….
10. Cassie released an exclusive excerpt on her newsletter!
Subscribe here to keep up with the latest updates. 🙂